Stories from the lives of Jared, Stephanie, Aubrey, Hannah and Dani Or, Jare-phanie-brey-nah-ni


Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Sleepless Nights

I don't know what it is about this pregnancy, but I just can't seem to sleep. It just feels like I take naps during the night, which is essentially what I'm doing. 

I wake up every few hours. One time is because I'm hungry. A couple other times to use the bathroom. A time or two because Aubrey is up and crying. Sometimes this baby moves rather dramatically to a new position, elbowing and kicking and shoving my internal organs to reach her desired position. And my favorite reason to wake up, because it's uncomfortable flipping from side to side. 

Apparently I have a hard time rolling from side to side without having to basically sit up in bed and then move. I can't just roll over like a rolling pin (what I would love to do). So I basically have to twist my top half to get my bottom half to move too. There isn't a whole lot of space so I have to do it all in the same spot. It's just uncomfortable! Might be better for me just to sleep on the floor. Lots more space for me to move!

I don't think I have many weird dreams. I guess I don't remember them like other women do. So I know that's not a reason why I wake up. 

But this makes me wonder what will happen when the baby comes. Is my sleep ruined forever? I'll be nursing the baby so I know I'll be up every 2 hours (still), then what? When baby sleeps through the night, will I be able to?

Aubrey used to be sleeping well through the night. Then something happened and she's been waking up a couple times during the night. She'll even go so far as to get up out of bed and try to open the door while calling out for Mama and Da. That's pretty difficult to sleep through. I'm chalking it up to teething. I didn't give her teething tablets or tylenol before bed, so it's probably my fault. 

But that lucky duck can go back to sleep. Even when Jared wakes up from Aubrey's cries or my tossing/moving, he falls back to sleep relatively quickly. 

Yet here I am, watching Big Bang Theory Season 2. Figure I can watch a disc a night when I can't sleep. Once I get through this season and the third, we have a few The Office seasons. And then there are funny movies like Easy A or Baby Mama to get me through the night. 

Thank goodness Aubrey takes decent naps. When she naps, I can nap too! I'm trying to cut back on Dr Pepper, so having a midday nap helps with that. 

I'm ready for the next sleeping phase though! I've been through nursing a newborn before. I'm fine waking up every couple hours to feed my baby. At least during the 2 hour periods of sleep, I'd be able to sleep on my back or stomach! 

I'm quite done sleeping on my sides, constantly trying to keep myself from rolling on my back. There is no temptation to sleep on my stomach, it's rather impossible right now. But I find myself drifting onto my back during the night and I have to overcorrect myself to keep from doing it!

So anyways. That was my rant. I've been up for an hour, so maybe it's time to try sleeping again. At least for a couple hours until Aubrey starts crying, I have to use the bathroom, I get hungry, or it's just flat out uncomfortable laying in bed on my side with a energetic baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment