Stories from the lives of Jared, Stephanie, Aubrey, Hannah and Dani Or, Jare-phanie-brey-nah-ni


Monday, September 24, 2012

Successful Apple Pie

    I've attempted to make apple pie a few times from scratch because I never wanted to buy a crust at the store. The pies I made over the past two years never turned out very well. Jared was nice and would eat parts of it, but it was near torture for him!

    During our grocery trip this past week, Jared saw a big bag of apples, so we got it to put in his lunches and for me to eat during the day. 

    Because of all the apples, I got the idea to try and make apple pie again! The only dilemma was I didn't have much flour to make a crust...

    But, don't worry! When we made homemade chicken pot pie, we learned we could use Bisquick for the crust if we mixed it in with the other stuff. It worked pretty great!

    I looked up a pie crust recipe online that would use Bisquick. We had everything for that recipe, so it was pretty easy making it. Jared helped core and peel the apples (he did most of it) so it was a great team effort!

Jared and his apples

My Bisquick and bottom pie crust

    After I got the bottom crust done, I started working on the top crust. Of course, every time I bake and try something different, I get upset because I don't do it the correct way. Poor Jared has to put up with me getting myself frustrated and threatening to give up. 

    Good news though! I kept on with the recipe I was pretty much committed to. At least it smelled good with the apples and cinnamon! :) The top crust wasn't perfect, but I didn't really care on perfect at that point. I just wanted the pie to turn out OK. 

    I put it in the oven and just hoped for the best. 

    I think it turned out pretty well, don't you!?


    We were so happy it turned out so well! The crust is delicious, the filling was yummy. The edges wren't burned and the pieces come out of the pan pretty easily!

Enjoying my slice of pie

This was last night...this morning the pie is half gone already

    So the pie was a success! I feel confident making it again so maybe I'll make it as a contribution to my family's Thanksgiving this year! Or I might attempt to make Jared's Grandma Call's apple crisp. That might be a little too risky though...

    And just for fun, here is a super cute picture of Aubrey :)

Gotta love the pink!!!

1 comment:

  1. You THREE are so cute! I'm guessing Aubrey didn't get to try out your delicious pie though.
    I just wrote a post about apple pie too! Only mine is gospel related. Maybe you'd like it!

    http://faithcastsoutfear.blogspot.com/2012/09/makin-pies.html

    ReplyDelete