Stories from the lives of Jared, Stephanie, Aubrey, Hannah and Dani Or, Jare-phanie-brey-nah-ni


Friday, December 13, 2013

Movies aren't the same

Ever since becoming a Mom and adjusting to the role, I have a completely different experience watching movies than I did before. 

I'm not saying things are better or worse now, just different. 

For example, Aubrey wants to watch movies all the time. Especially if they have animals and lots of songs. So pretty much, we watch Disney all day, every day. 

Which is fine! I enjoy most of the movies, even though I can complain about pretty much every one :) Jared gets annoyed (I think) when I always trash talk movies. But that's for another post when I want to play devil's advocate. 

We are watching Tarzan right now while waiting for Jared to come home. This movie never really got any sort of emotion from me before. 

But when the baby ape gets eaten by the leopard (or whatever that large cat it) I feel so sad for the Mom and Dad! And then hearing baby Tarzan crying makes my heart break!

Now I care SO MUCH when a baby is involved in a movie! People say you develop a stronger sense of empathy when you read a lot. But my empathy-side has grown so much having Aubrey!

Hearing her cry makes me want to do everything I can to help (unless it's been happening all day and she's just in a cranky mood). So when I hear anything like that in a movie, I feel so sad!

And I greatly dislike parts in movies where parents lose their child. How awful! I can't imagine how that is, and I'd rather not try.

I need to start watching movies that have nothing to do with children. Maybe I'll watch Gladiator when Aubrey is asleep and just skip the part about Maximus's family. Or I'll watch something a little more family friendly like Charade or To Catch A Thief. 

Now, my rant is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment