Stories from the lives of Jared, Stephanie, Aubrey, Hannah and Dani Or, Jare-phanie-brey-nah-ni


Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Best Laid Plans

    We went to Utah for my twin brother's wedding and that will be a post of it's own, once I have more time and a few pictures. But, the wedding/reception/family fun is not what I want to blog about right now. 

    Heads up, this is a lengthy story. If you don't want to read it all at once, find a good stopping point in the middle and come back later :)

    Thursday: Aubrey flew with my parents who were scheduled to fly in to Utah a few hours before us. We were hoping they could get to my uncle's house and Aubrey could go to bed before it was a crazy hour. Jared and I weren't supposed to land til about midnight Utah time (2am here). 

    My dad kept pointing out a phrase to me "Best laid plans of mice and men often go astray." So true...so true...

    Things were late leaving the Atlanta airport. Jared and I arrived in Houston and began our long wait for our connecting flight. I got a call from my Mom saying their connecting flight left without them because they were late getting in to Arizona. So they were waiting for another flight and would land in Utah maybe an hour before us...awesome.

    From what they said, Aubrey was as good as expected. She freaked out a little, cried, slept for an hour and would play and be pretty good. When we got to Cale's though to sleep, things went so downhill...

    Aubrey would not sleep that night. She woke up every half hour, if she even lasted that long. 

    Friday: James came over to watch Aubrey while we went to Mount Timpanogos. Poor James...we get back and find out she's been crying, but she slept a little bit in his arms. She wouldn't eat very much and I just figured she was tired and freaking out about the time change and stupid cold.

    The day was of her being fussy and just not being normal. She wasn't being very cute and she'd cry and started sounding a little sick. I'd get her to sleep in my arms a little bit, but never lasted long and never seemed to help. That night was awful again. No sleep until I gave her to my Mom and then my Mom was up with her.

    Saturday: James watched her again while we were in the Bountiful temple for Chris and Alicia's wedding. It was rough being outside in the snow with a sick baby. By this time, we knew she was sick but only thought it was a cold because she wasn't sleeping and it was freezing.

    My grandparents were concerned and of course voiced their opinions, telling us to take Aubrey to the doctor because babies get RSV and could die and if they get the flu, it's more serious. I was getting worried and began imagining the worst. 

    But we were still at the temple and were taking pictures...outside...in the freezing weather. We took a few family pictures outside and Jared took Aubrey inside the waiting room while I took more pictures with the Bridesmaids. Remember, it was freezing cold outside. We couldn't wear jackets in the pictures so I was just in a long sleeve shirt and a skirt.

    Finally, we get to leave and my Mom drove us to a little InstaCare on the way home. 

    Turns out, Aubrey had croup! Poor baby! She got sick Thursday and it progressed because she was off her sleeping schedule and it was so cold. The doctor gave her a shot, gave us some drugs we could give her and told us tips to help. 

    Oh my goodness, she was showing signs of getting better by that evening! We borrowed a humidifier and Aubrey slept through the night! Sunday morning at church, she was happier and played and was cute!

    We survived the first sickness! The next few days of her recovery was just dealing with a TERRIBLE cough and stuffy/runny nose. Each day she got better and was closer to her funny, cute, adorable self! She's been laughing lately and crawling all over! We bought a humidifier and I see a difference. 

    Her runny nose is getting better and her cough is not as awful! Of course, from being outside the Bountiful temple, I caught an awful cold that hit me a few hours before New Year's Eve. And a few days later, Jared got sick from me. 

    All 3 of us were so sick when we first got home. Dumb snow in dumb freezing Utah. I told my brothers they can't get married in the winter unless it's somewhere warm!

1 comment: