Stories from the lives of Jared, Stephanie, Aubrey, Hannah and Dani Or, Jare-phanie-brey-nah-ni


Friday, April 20, 2012

My Story - Part One; Getting Admitted

    Jared was good and typed up his version of the labor and delivery of Aubrey Lynne while it was happening and right after. I, on the other hand, had other things on my mind and was too busy recovering to even think about documenting the day. 

    But now that Aubrey has a full tummy and is taking her first nap this morning, I find myself with a little extra time!

    So, this is my side of the story. Bear with me, it might be a little long. This is more for my record so I'll be able to remember most everything in the future :)

    It was past my due date a few days and I was just ready for this baby to come out! I wanted to give her a name and I wanted to hold her and I just wanted to be done being pregnant! Jared and I went for a walk Saturday morning to the bank where my coworkers were so great and pitched in to get us a present. We stopped by Smoothie King on our way home for a snack and for me to assess my condition. I was feeling pretty great, despite being tired. No cramping, no contractions, nothing. We get home, I'm exhausted and a little peeved walking didn't get the contractions going. 

    We go through the day like normal. Finally it's bed time and there is still no progress! It was silly, but I really wanted to have the baby that weekend, so with Sunday being the only day left, I was a little sad. But, sure enough around midnight I was up with cramping. The cramps got a little worse and closer together. I got out of bed, came out and watched a few episodes of The Office Season 1. The cramping was getting worse and turned into contractions. 

    I called the doctors' office to ask what I was supposed to do. The midwife said when they are about 5 minutes apart for half an hour, I could come in. Around 2:00 Sunday morning, the contractions were starting to come around 5 minutes apart. I went into the bedroom to wake Jared up so he could take me to the hospital. We still had plenty of time and he was a little slow waking up. We left our apartment around 2:30 (I think, it was pretty early in the morning and not too far after midnight). 

    Around 3 we made it to the hospital. Got forms filled out and they put me in the room to wait and be monitored. That was the start of a VERY long day in the hospital. 

    My contractions were coming in around 5 minutes apart, which was good. But apparently they weren't strong enough...The nurses came in, asked how far along I was. When I said I was past my due date a few days, they went back to "talk."

    A few minutes later, one of them came back and said because I was past my due date, instead of sending me home, they wanted me to walk around the hospital floor for an hour to see if it would help me get into labor. 

    We walked the stupid U-shaped floor for an hour. I was in the silly gown, it was 3:30 in the morning, I was hungry and I was sick of walking. Just to spite them, I stopped walking at 55 minutes and just stood there waiting for them to come get me at the hour mark. They didn't come, so we just walked back. 

    They hooked me up and saw my contractions were progressing (I could have told them that by how I was feeling). It was a busy morning though, so it took a little while for them to admit me and take me to the room where the fun would happen. Finally, around 5:30, I was taken to the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment