Stories from the lives of Jared, Stephanie, Aubrey, Hannah and Dani Or, Jare-phanie-brey-nah-ni


Friday, March 18, 2011

Another Holiday, Come and Gone

    Saint Patrick's Day is such a fun little holiday. It can be celebrated by everyone, not just the Irish...or people in Ireland...or just Catholics. 

    A brief history about the day. Saint Patrick was kidnapped by Irish raiders. He was told in a dream to flee from captivity and return to his home, Britain, where he joined a church and studied to be a priest. He was called back to Ireland as a Bishop and one of his teaching methods (folklore) was to preach about the trinity using the three leaves of a shamrock. Even though the original color associated with him was blue, green has become more popular throughout the centuries. The wearing of green was mostly meant to wear a shamrock on your clothing. 

    Enough of history, it's just a fun tradition to celebrate! Being here at home gives me plenty of time to think of ways to celebrate, some ideas come close to insanity. 

    For the first few hours of the day, I cut out little shamrock confetti. No stencil or anything. I just got paper, scissors and a green marker. I made enough to scatter all up the stairs and all over the floor! Most of them are about the size of a nickel. 

I think they are cute and look pretty good for silly, free-hand cut outs!

    Later, I got ready to make the dessert for tonight. My grandma gave me tons of little cupcake things for several holidays, and one of the packets had shamrocks on it. What a great idea! But I didn't have any cake mix...or a car to go get some....Have no fear! I made brownies in those little cupcake cups! So I made the brownie mix, put an overflowing tablespoon in each cup and I let them cook into perfect brownie bites! (Turns out though when you put more than a tablespoon in a cup, you have to let it cook longer or the batter doesn't cook and the middle of the brownie caves in)

    Once the brownies were all done and cooled, I started coloring the frosting. It would be silly to not have a green dessert for Saint Patrick's Day, but what could I do! I couldn't color the chocolate brownies...the brown would have covered the green! But once again, have no fear! I just made green frosting! I got out our cream cheese frosting, put in some food coloring, and voila!

A scrumptious green dessert!

Look at those cute little shamrock cups!

    I had the decorations all done, the dessert ready for eating. Jared was getting off work soon. Time to work on dinner! I didn't have much that was green and the idea of coloring our chicken green sounded pretty gross to me. But what else was there? There was pasta! And green beans! I cooked the noodles, put the coloring in and mixed them all together. The green beans were easy; just had to heat them up! The sauce was red...I failed in that aspect. If I had used the Alfredo sauce and colored it, it would have been the exact same dinner we had Tuesday night! Never have the same dinner twice in the same week! 

    Jared came home and liked what he saw for dinner and he enjoyed my little decorations scattered on the floor. He had the genius idea of coloring our drink green too, to match our green dinner! The meal looked all icky and green, but it sure was tasty!

(Green noodles, green beans, and green milk. Everything tasted normal!)

    That was our Saint Patrick's Day! Simple, but worth a memory! We both dressed up in green to avoid being pinched (him mostly at work. I just have a lot of green, so all I had to do was get dressed for the day!)

    I hope everyone else had a great day as well! Holidays are here for a reason: to give us a break from daily routines!!

    The tally for movies watched for the other person is the same with: Jared 4    Stephanie 4
    We're going to try and keep it even for a while. See how long it lasts! :)

1 comment:

  1. Steph, you could be a professional green brownie cupcake photographer. They look great!

    ReplyDelete