Stories from the lives of Jared, Stephanie, Aubrey, Hannah and Dani Or, Jare-phanie-brey-nah-ni


Thursday, March 24, 2011

Too Much Time On My Hands

    Jared and I got married and left Provo, UT before I finished my classes to get my stinkin diploma. So, I am finishing them online, Independent Study from BYU. I was so excited because I could do school stuff at home! All I have to do is go through these lessons online, sometimes I have to write and submit a short paper or do a quiz for a grade; no sweat. I have a midterm or two and a final for each of the three classes. That's less than what I had to do when on campus!

    Things were great. I had all day to get things done! I could work half the day on school (reading, making flashcards, writing papers) and have the rest of the day to have fun! I was loving this whole "Independent" idea! I could choose when and where!

    The problem started when I began to get a life. Jared and I were moving around a lot looking for an internship so he could graduate. Then I started working and didn't have lots of time to work on school, other than weekends. Now that we are settled in Nashville, I've just lost the motivation to work on school!

    Have no fear though, I've been working on finishing them. Just not as much as I should though. Good news though, I finished one class and I just have the final two left. Not including the midterm I took today (and totally passed!), I have a total of 3 exams left. Not too bad!

    I have so many hours here at home where I can dedicate myself to school. Still, I find myself on Facebook constantly. Or I am on Hulu watching some of my favorite shows like Castle or Bones. I even watch re-runs just because I don't want to do school work! I will sit here all day on the couch day dreaming and before I know it, it's around 5 and I start thinking of things to do for dinner!

    Independent Study relies too much on independence. Where are the deadlines! I never thought I would say this, but sometimes, I feel the need to go to a class or to the library to study! There are too many distractions here at home. 

    For example, all I can think about now is cleaning. Thinking about how I'm going to move everything out of the way so I can vacuum. Then I think about making the bed all nice and pretty with the decorative pillows and such. Then I sit on the couch and realize the blankets are all over the place, so I take the time to fold them carefully. 

    This morning after I did a quick review of the material I would be tested on, I put in a movie and started dazing off. I got hungry about 11:15, so I made macaroni and cheese. Facebook was always open and I have my Gmail open too so I can send little messages to Jared while he is at work.

    But now I can enjoy a short break before figuring out a whole new system. I have to factor in work in a few weeks. Even though it is only 20 hours, and some of those are on Saturday, that is less time for me to work on school. Guess I'll have to buckle down...

    ....Nah, I'm sure I'll still find time to procrastinate! I have til May to finish everything! No sweat!

1 comment: