Stories from the lives of Jared, Stephanie, Aubrey, Hannah and Dani Or, Jare-phanie-brey-nah-ni


Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Gross People Make Me Grateful

    Have you ever looked at a person and thought to yourself, "I am SO lucky not to be that person!"?

    Today I spent two and a half hours in the Davidson County Driver Services Center and had that thought CONSTANTLY. 

    I first got there after having a good morning of spending time with Jared and getting my I-9 all worked out so I can start training Monday. The place was packed and there was a pretty long line just to get a waiting number. 

    Sometimes I am a patient person and I was feeling pretty good this morning. It didn't matter there were 25 people who were in the same category that would be helped before me. It also didn't matter that things were moving slowly. What did matter is the people all around me. There was no escaping the grodiness (grodiness=a form of the word "grody" which is a synonym of "gross" or "repulsive") 

    The first seat I could find was a space away from a normal looking guy. He kept to himself, I kept to myself, it was good. The problem started when he asked me to look over his "stuff" while he went outside really quick. So I "watched" his "stuff" until he came back smelling horribly! He had me watch his precious possession (a falling apart folder full of wrinkled and torn papers) so he could go smoke a joint in his car! 

    I am SO thankful I do not smoke or do anything grody like that. I am SO grateful Jared doesn't either. This guy was breathing all over me as he sighed with impatience. It didn't help that the smoke smell was just a cover for his natural terrible smell. 

    In the row in front of me, there were two guys who looked like they were friends and both took the morning off work to get something changed. I'm not sure what they were there for, but I saw a lot of crack and I realized after a few minutes that they were VERY "friendly" with each other. 

    I am SO glad all my pants cover all the parts they need to cover and I'm glad Jared's do too. There are few things worse to see than too much skin. 

    Also showing WAY too much skin was a young woman across the room. It's a pretty reasonable Spring day. It's about 55 outside and the sun was out. That does NOT make it O.K. for a heavier-weight young adult to wear a tank-top that came down too low and some short SHORT athletic shorts. I would also like to mention the shorts were white and showed more than they should have.

    It's great she is comfortable with her body, but I am so glad I am modest in what I wear. Even when I'm alone around the house, I always have several layers of clothing on. Sometimes even a jacket when the heat is too slow to kick on. 

    This isn't grody, but I saw a guy hit on a rather pretty girl while we were all waiting to get our licenses. It was more embarrassing to watch, but they swapped numbers and I stopped having to hold in my laughter at the awkwardness. 

    Woohoo I don't ever have to deal with awkward pick-lines or weirdos trying to get my number! Jared gave me pretty shiny ring that I thoroughly enjoy flashing around if I catch some crazy eye-ing me.

    Along the lines of showing too much, tattoos just aren't attractive. Whether it's just one on your shoulder or a whole canvas on your body, it's gross. There was a guy there with his fraternity symbol or whatever on his neck. His NECK! Who would want a needle around that area! It's ok though, his girlfriend matched him with her sorority symbol in the middle of her cleavage. GRODY!

    The last grody thing I will mention is the LARGE women who wear their pants too tight, the guys who wear their pants too tight, and also the guys who wear their pants too lose. The last thing I want to look up and see is a big woman walking around in pants that show everything. My skinny jeans are tight, but there is still some space to get them on and off comfortably. Some women don't have ANY space. 

    Guys who wear skinny jeans just look silly. If they have long hair, they might be mistaken for a girl on a regular basis. On the other end, if I don't want to see something that tight, I sure don't want to see something loose either. When guys have to hold their pants up by the crotch when they walk, buy a belt! If they lost weight, go buy a new pair! It's not attractive showing your boxers or briefs, I don't care to know which ones you are wearing!

    All in all, I am grateful I am not a white trash woman, addicted to smoking who doesn't dress to match my body. It's clear to see I have standards and I strive hard each day to live within them. I respect myself and my husband and I do my best to take care of myself. When I go out in public, I put on regular clothing, not just a clean pair of pajamas or sweats. I take the time to do my hair and my make-up. 

    I'm not saying I'm better than all those people. They may be very nice and have great personalities. But I will say, based of first impressions, I am VERY grateful not to be them.

No comments:

Post a Comment